Hobart Games (of) Society

The Cesspool Forum Index

View posts since last visit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taiti
Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:53 pm   Post subject: Hobart Games (of) Society
taiti

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:53 pm   Post subject: Hobart Games (of) Society
Alternatively, HoGS.

It's a games group open to anyone who wants to come along and play some games. Generally board games, and generally of the European/German game genre.

With all the talk of Werewolf around this place, I had to put in a plug for HoGS. We're kind of obsessed with finishing off a night with a round or three of Werewolf. I'm really not sure how it can work online, the real deal is surely better.

So, this year we've actually been meeting twice a month, and then some. It's never long between getting a hit of gaming for me.

It's a public event held in Bernd's house in Mt Stuart on the first Friday of each month and then the Saturday two weeks later. Come along, bring some snacks and some games, or just play what other people bring or some of Bernd's games.

The 'Hobart Gamers' group was created on facebook to be a general place for Tasmanian gamers to find one another, but HoGS seems to have monopolised it. All the events are listed there for the rest of 2009, so if you're keen and need reminding of the events, then there's no excuses.

The facebook group also has recaps of all the nights just to let people know what they're missing out on if they don't turn up - I could copy pasta one over here if someone wants.

The next night is this Saturday, the 17th, but I'm more likely to be hanging out with Frisbee geeks than the gaming geeks since Two Hat is on and all; maybe next month.
mazil
Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:46 am   Post subject: Re: Hobart Games (of) Society
mazil
Damn Hippie

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:46 am   Post subject: Re: Hobart Games (of) Society
I'd like to come to one! I'll have to check with you when you're going to the next one, I'd feel a bit weird rocking up to someone's house randomly ;)

taiti wrote:
I'm really not sure how [Werewolf] can work online, the real deal is surely better.

That's interesting, cos we were actually wondering how it can work offline ;) (I mean, we know how it's played, but... personally... I wasn't sure about the real life bluffing)
taiti
Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:20 pm   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:20 pm   Post subject:
Well, it's come around again dear Cesspoolean gamers.

If you haven't made plans yet,
HoGS is on this Friday evening!

Quote:
Host: Hobart Gamers
Type: Meetings - Club/Group Meeting
Network: Global
Date: Friday, 06 November 2009
Time: 19:00 - 23:55
Street: Montagu Street
Town/City: Hobart, Australia

Phone: 62788012
Email: bernd@wechner.info

Description
'tis that time of the month again! Let's do it and play many games ... be there or be square and don't forget to feed the discrete donation tin ;-). Consider very seriously a gold coin donation with every visit. Imagine what we can do together with that come Christmas time!

- http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=94161755002

I intend to be there this week, if heaps of you are going to turn up, I probably should give Bernd a heads up to how many extras to expect.
Short games start before 7, be there before 8 or you might miss the head count and the start of more involved games.
taiti
Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:25 pm   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:25 pm   Post subject:
Last Friday HoGS announced their intention to formally associate. The donation tin was opened and counted to be just over $2001.

The reason for doing this is that it allows the group to publicly handle money. Donating games to charities and hospitals requires money. Part of the message that will accompany any publicity for the group will be that family games are not just alternative entertainment for winter and global economic crises (as has been noted in the media this year2), but any time.

As part of this change, we're keeping a member's list for funding purposes and so on. There's no obligation to actually put details down as a member if you want to come along, although we will now insist on a gold coin donation rather than, previously, just suggesting it.

There will also be a paid membership option, with benefits if we ever get around to organising special events, and discounted access to the games library we intend to build with the funds from the tin, and beyond.

Hopefully we might still see a few of you along in the new year.

_____
1 Enough to buy a couple of games, not just christmas snacks
2 Don't ask me for references
taiti
Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:12 pm   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:12 pm   Post subject:
Time to spam a reminder here to all Hobartians about HoGS while I remember, and it's the new year and your lives may have calmed down a bit by now.

HoGS is on this Friday the 5th Feb.1
Gold coin entry.

Membership (ordinary, supporting, founding, life) is now open too, but there's no obligation to become a member by giving us your contact details either.

_____
1 Perhaps this belongs under announcements?
taiti
Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:15 pm   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:15 pm   Post subject:
Gamers of the cesspool1, HoGS has a couple of tables at the Lenah Links market this coming Saturday, 6th March. An opportunity to meet the people behind this group without committing to spending an evening with us, and seeing a few extra game titles you may not have heard of.

As usual this is an event on the Book of Face, and as such I quote:
Bernd wrote:
Games demo at Lenah Links Market
Going Public...
The plan is to have a small number of us playing a game to draw attention, pass time, engender questions and observers. Some just hanging about and prepared to propose to anyone who's going to be there 60-120 minutes to play a game with them.

I envisage entry level elegant games that entice folks.

This is a real chance to something in a wonderful community environment to help expose game playing to a body of people most receptive to alternatives to popular culture, TV, video and such, and a grass roots thing happening in Lenah Valley.

There's also a standard First Friday of the Month games night this Friday too.

Is anybody interested, or is it time for me to consider retiring this thread?

_____
1 the Hobart ones anyway
FairyJoe
Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 am   Post subject:
FairyJoe
I won teh prize

I won teh prize

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 am   Post subject:
I am interested, but unfortunately rather busy, and I can never make the prescribed times. However, you see me IRL once a week at frisbee, so don't keep the thread open on my behalf.
taiti
Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:55 pm   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:55 pm   Post subject:
Time to grave-dig this thread for a reminder now that it's cold and dark of a Friday evening.

HoGS is meeting this Friday 7th May, 7:30pm onwards, Mt Stuart.

I understand this weekend might be clashing with Frisbee people, but busy is good, right?

I want to make it clear that this is a regular event, twice a month (plus). The first Friday of the month, and the Saturday a fortnight later - giving people with commitments on one of those days a chance to come along. Easy to mark one of the days in your calendar if you're interested.

Gather. Laugh. Play. Are you game?
Morgain
Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:18 am   Post subject:
Morgain

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:18 am   Post subject:
Do you play old fashioned card games?

I'd like to learn how to play Bridge.....

taiti
Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 am   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 am   Post subject:
Unfortunately the main use we have for standard playing cards is to hand out roles to people for Werewolf.

I know Betty is more into cards, but we haven't seen her for months. She does have her own card and game afternoons/evenings.
taiti
Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:05 am   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:05 am   Post subject:
So we've got our August mid-monthly games night coming up this Saturday. Coinciding with the federal election count, which I suggested might be turning people away from the TV for the evening. Perhaps others will be drawn to the TV and the net for their fix of lower house voting stats. Either way, a night of board games will always be fun.

Ask me for more details, or find the Hobart Gamers group on Facebook if I haven't invited you already.

One Cesspoolian has ticked the 'maybe' box over there already for this week, so let's all encourage that and rock up too!
mazil
Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:11 am   Post subject:
mazil
Damn Hippie

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:11 am   Post subject:
Morgain wrote:
Do you play old fashioned card games?

I'd like to learn how to play Bridge.....

Image: http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/product_images/C8390r.jpg

I learnt bridge from Omar Sharif!! Omar Sharif

I still remember him saying "1 Heart! 2 No Trumps!".

(Sorry for the random lazarus-reply, Taiters! Some of us are busy D&Ding this Saturday unfortunately! But we are there in gamer spirit I guess!)
taiti
Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:50 pm   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:50 pm   Post subject:
I've been putting off things like this because I've been freaking out about work for the last few weeks, it's about time I posted here.

Short notice, as usual, but HoGS is on tomorrow night.
We have a website up that's independent of the failbook, http://hobart.gamessociety.info/ there's a calendar there, so you can plan ahead and avoid clashes with the DnD nights.

At our last committee meeting we had posters to distribute, which I only got around to putting up at uni last Friday. I might even get around to putting a link to it here one day if anyone else wishes to do some marketing for us.

See you there,
sometime.
taiti
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:06 am   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:06 am   Post subject:
It's a brand new year, and it's a Friday.
HoGS is meeting tonight. If anyone is keen to rock up to one this year, why not start early?
Short notice with the reminder, sorry. The schedule is still the same though: First Friday of the month then Saturday 15 days later. As per the website1, linked above.
Events created on Facebook as usual under Hobart Gamers, and Christine also does Sunday night games in Kingston quite often.

Clashes with DnD nights could be combined by setting up a table in the corner at Hogs if you'd just like to meet and greet the rest of us gamers to begin with.

The committee is organising a donation to Ronald McDonald house some time soonish, and we're talking about an event of some description too, but that could be a fair way off still.

_____
1 It's even got mug shots now
taiti
Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:14 pm   Post subject:
taiti

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:14 pm   Post subject:
**ANNOUNCEMENT: The 2011 Hobart Games Society AGM will be held at 7pm on Saturday May 21, 2011 at The Big Blue House. This is the same date as the regular Mid Monthly Games Night, so you can guarantee we’ll be playing games as well! **

Unfortunately, I wont be at the AGM, but we're looking to recruit a couple more people as general members on the committee if anyone is at all interested in being involved at that level1. There's still 3 opportunities beforehand to meet some of us if you're interested to come along, or even offer any feed-back as to what might not be appealing about the games nights.

Our main twice a month pattern is unchanged, and Sunday Games with Christine is scheduled for all the 'off-weeks'. She has moved from Kingston in to Lenah Valley now, so it's all in the one area, and close by after Indoor Frisbee.

All the events are listed on the calendar on our website, and we've split off and upgraded our own facebook group hoping that discussions are more visible with email notifications now.

_____
1 Quarterly meetings and some input into planning an event and general publicity.

Page 1 of 1
All times using Australia/Hobart timezone

Jump to: